Then a couple months later Rachel said she was running the Art City Days 5k and the registration was only $8. So I thought sure. And she was going to do it with me. So a week after I registered and about a week and a half before the race. I thought, "man I really need to run to try it out before the actual race". I do not run! When I do cardio at the gym I do the stair stepper. I have never understood the "runner's high". I really felt like I was not a runner. But I also wanted to take advantage of being somewhat in shape and do this race.
This is the starting line. Twenty-six hundred people registered to run the race.

It was a pretty good experience. I was pretty stressed at first because I heard talk about a hill, and with all the people at the starting line it was hard to keep a pace and focus on the running. But I was able to keep at a good pace where I generally was breathing effectively. The music also really helped. And I want to thank all those who lent me their ipod devices so I could run with music. I left mine in St. George :(
This is just before the finish line. It was great to see Jon and the boys waiting for me!

I included this picture because it has the time on it . . .which you may not be able to see. It says 34:41, but since we were kind of far from the startline and had to wait for everyone to get going before we got there, I will subtract a min :) So I figured I ran the 5k in 33 mins and 46 seconds. I didn't think I would get there faster than 40 mins. So I am pretty satisfied with my time :)

Thank you Rachel for encouraging me to do this and helping me figure out how to run effectively.

Thank you Jon for your support! I love you!

Then me and the boys napped while Jon went on a bike ride with his brother. Then we got ready and went to the Wild Outdoors Festival at Thanksgiving Point. They had the Timbersports Games and Splashdog Games. They were fun to watch. And the boys had a good time too.
I forgot we had the camera so the pictures aren't great.

We went with our friends, Amy and Ricky.

Another one of Zac's silly faces, this was posed :)

I don't know the name of the events but this was "a pole climb". The poles are 60 ft high.

The men climb the pole with cramp on type shoes and a belt that goes around the pole. Then they sort of repel down, catching themselves with their shoes every 10-20 feet. It was so cool to watch. They also had a "Boom Run" where they run along a line of different sized logs floating in water. That was really cool too. The events we saw used axes and chain saws.

Zac was afraid to touch this huge turtle. It was 60-70 years old.

Zac ready for church this morning.


Good job Jess! Now you will be addicted! That is what happens. Race atmosphere has so much energy! We'll have to do one together next year when I've had my baby and am getting back in shape.
ReplyDeleteJessica!! Good for you on the 5K race!! That time is awesome!! I'm really proud of you! Now you can run with me on my 1/2 marathon!! It's only 13.1 miles!! Come on!
ReplyDeleteYou need to run with me! I do a lot of the 5K's around Provo so let's plan on doing one together! You did really good for your first race! I ran it in 33 min too! We were in the back and waited for everyone to go and then we started our own timer. Pushing Ava was not easy!!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome that you did a 5K! I abhor running, so it's that much more amazing to me that you're so awesome! :)
ReplyDeleteway to go!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing how many people say that you will now love running?! I have had some comments like that...I wonder how long you have to run for hate to be refined in to a love for it? Thanks for running with me!
ReplyDelete