Saturday, June 5, 2010

THREE 5k's!

This morning I did my third 5k of the summer. It felt great to meet that goal. And I did a couple minutes faster than the previous ones! It was 33 mins, about. Its hard to tell since they don't do the chip system, and I always start a ways from the start line. This was a more manageable run. I think my feat on this one was pacing myself well. When there are hills or other people (that I am competing with in my head), I tend to loose that pace, and then have no steam on the tail end.  I was able to pick up the pace at the end and sprint through the finish line.


Since my last 5k, I bought some running shoes. I feel like the shoes makes a big difference in how my body feels after the race. I feel tired, but not sore (well, thats a lie. My calves are a little sore, but that's because I am trying to run on my middle foot and not heel strike).

Rachel and I also went to a running technique class offered at a local running store. That was a great class. I learned a lot of things to change in my posture and what each thing will do to help be a more effective runner. I think that helped a lot with being able to make it to the end with some stamina. At the end of the class they showed us a race. We watched the last few laps and it was amazing to see the difference in the 2 leading racers, and how it affected which won. It really helped me to be able to hold the right posture til the end of the race.

It was nice to have my sister, Rachel, and my friend Callie in the race. It just makes me feel less lonely, although I didn't run near them.  But I think being on my own helps me control my pace better. The first half was up hill with a small incline. Then in the middle there was a steep, steep hill. Seriously, I felt like I was looking at a winding staircase. I was able to keep pace half way up that hill, where I started to walk. Then the rest of the route was down hill at a small incline and straight.

I am so glad I finished this goal! If I can start to train more and be consistent, then I'd love to do a longer race. But I haven't gotten the motivation to make it happen. Since I finished my goal earlier this year than I thought, I decided I am going to run another 5k in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!!