Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rex Lee 5k

While being a student at BYU, I would see people all over wearing these shirts. My friend Katie even made a t-shirt quilt and had a Rex Lee Run shirt in it. There is a part of me that has always wanted one. Well, now I do!! :)


This year I decided I would make a goal to run three 5k's. I did my first one last year. I figured if I had a goal to do 3 this year, then I would more likely be consistent in working out and hopefully loosing a bit of weight.

My friend Shelly runs the Rex Lee 5 k every year and invites whoever wants to go. I was going to do it last year, but I didn't register early enough to not be a last minuter (excuses, excuses ;) Anyway, this year she invited again and I said yes. I also need to get going on this goal. I was worried if I waited til the summer runs then I would just end up putting it off for various reasons.

I was telling my 7 mo. pregnant friend, Callie that I was going to do it and she said, "hey, I'll do it with you". The more the merrier! I think she did GREAT for being 7 mo pregnant. She is amazing. She finished only few mins behind me!

Before the race:

It was freezing!! The cold air was kind of hard on my throat, but a lot less than I would have thought. The race started out up hill and went that way for about 1/4 of the race. It surprisingly wasn't that bad. Although I did slow to a walk 2/3 of the way through that. Then it was down hill for the next 1/4 of the race. That was great. I used the momentum of the hill and I was passing a lot of people. That was fun. Then the next 1/4 was flat. At which I still think I had a good pace, and was into my music. All good til I got to the last 1/4 . . . I didn't pace myself well, and I had a weird light cramp in my side that would come and go. That last 1/4 was so hard for me.

I couldn't find a good pace. I think, I briskly walked half of that part. Then as I was trying to finish by running the whole way around the track, another girl who was really pushing it, started to throw up . . . so I started to walk again. (I missed Jon at the finish line. Last year, he being there gave me a burst of energy to finish out strong.) Then I sprinted the last 10 yards to the finish, and a girl in front of me stopped short of the line to talk to someone and I almost ran her over. The race times were recorded on chips and my time was 36:32. Not too bad, but not as good as last year. I have some work to do. Running outside it so much better and easier than running on the treadmill. I just wish I had time at a reasonable hour when it was not dark outside. Rachel and I are thinking of running another 5k in April . . . hmm I guess need to register for it-then I'm committed!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! I'm trying to gear up for up for a few 5k's myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good! There is the Nestle Art City Days 5K on June 5th. I am running that one. I might also run the Provo City 5K on May 1st. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! One down a lifetime more to go...does that sound a little overwhelming? It does to me, I achieve something but then realize I have to do this the rest of my life to keep the body and health that I want....gotta love it. and I really really really hope that I am ready to run with you next month...I can't believe this month is almost over!! run run run...

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!!