January 31st was our eighth wedding Anniversary and the weather was just as beautiful as 8 years ago. Well, we actually celebrated on Saturday the 29th.
The last few years we have been going on weekenders to Midway for our Anniversary, but babysitting arrangements weren't going so smooth and we just didn't feel like that is what we should do this year. Instead, we made a day out of it. We were trying to decide what we would do for our day activity. I've been feeling pretty up and down the last several months trying to adjust to this new life. Jon has wanted to take me skiing. I hadn't been in 11 years and frankly, I was afraid. And I didn't want to do anything intense. So I thought maybe snow shoeing. But, I had been working on being more playful and adventurous so the Thursday before, I texted Jon and told him to get me a ticket. He has a season pass through his work and was able to get me a complimentary pass.
This is a huge pipe at Canyons
Jacob and Adam came up for the day and watched the boys, while we took off. I had a great time skiing. I can't believe how quick and easy it came! We did 3 runs on the bunny hill, and I worked on S-turns. Then we did a blue square run that was a bit more challenging, but it was fun and we did that run again. Then we skied down (a lot longer than I expected) to another lift, the tombstone, and we rested for a bit and got some water. My legs were soo tired. It seemed like resting was worse for them, than to just keep going. After sitting for about 30 mins, my legs still did not feel rested.
This pic is from Deer Valley. But this is the kind of day it was. And we rested in chairs like this by a BBQ lunch place at the Canyons resort.
The day was AMAZING! The weather was beautiful it felt like 40 degrees and I didn't even get cold in short sleeves sitting in the sun. But while skiing it was SOOO HOT! I had to keep taking layers off, I was sweating so bad b/c I had my down insert in my coat.
Me resting. We didn't take more pics. And I forgot my camera again! Short sleeves, I had to go in the bathroom and take my thermal off and put it in my pocket it was so hot!
After "resting" we took the lift up to a couple double blues. That wasn't the greatest idea for me.... they were a bit steeper and longer. And my legs were done! I kept slipping b/c my legs wouldn't keep my edges. At one point after I fell, I decided to just let myself slide/fall all the way down the steep part. I was head first and I just lifted my skis so they wouldn't get caught. It was easier than getting my legs to conform! Haha In order to get back to the lodge and gondola we had to take the lift up again and go down a different way. Luckily, was a more mellow. But I had a great time and I want to go again this year!
We made arrangements for Jacob to take the boys miniature golfing for an hour while we came home and got ready to go out for the night. That way it wouldn't be like we're home...but not really. We left the house about 3:30 and we were STARVING! We hadn't eaten much.
I had really been wanting to try a new restaurant, La Jolla Groves. (There are some new really good fresh, local, high quality restaruants coming around, and they are FANTASTIC! Pizzaria 712, Communal, and La Jolla Groves.) We went to La Jolla Groves in Provo.
This is the main dining room. Unfortunately, there was a wedding luncheon going on so we didn't get to sit there. But the food was real good-not fantastic, but I do want to try it again.
Then we walked around Riverwoods for a while and window shopped at a few places, and checked out Provo Beach Resort. (I took the boys there last weekend while Jon got a hair cut. It was a pretty fun place.)
Earlier in the day we had tried to get tickets to some different plays going on in Utah Valley, but they were all sold out. So we got tickets for the BYU Contemporary Dance concert. It was interesting. I don't know much about dance or art for that matter. But this is not what I expected. It was very....earthy, I guess is a good word. Very artistic, which to me took away from how technical dance can be. I guess I like the regimented, precise, structure of dance. And this didn't have much of that. (Watch I bet if Jon was writing this he would say something completely different.) There were some really fun or good pieces, but most of them were over my head I suppose.
This dance was hilarious! It was a waltz and the "women" were blow up dolls rigged up to razor scooters. It was great entertainment!!
Then before we headed through the canyon to go home, we decided we'd grab a snack since it was about 10:45 and we ate at 4. We stopped at Los Hermanos and got chips, salsa, appetizer and specialty drinks-my kind of snack!
We had a great day; it was really hard to get back to normal life :) We love talking about how the last year went, and what the next year holds for us and how happy we are and how much we've grown individually and together. We have a lot of goals this year and are optimistic to have a successful year.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Happy Anniversary!! I'm glad you guys had a great time.
ReplyDelete