Monday, June 21, 2010

Strawberry Days Rodeo

Jon and my first official date was back in June 2002. He got back from his mission around April and moved out to Utah to get a job before school started. My roommate, Jenni, was in his freshman ward at BYU. He and his friend Gil came over for FHE one night at the beginning on June, I think, and that is where I met Jon. We kind of went on a date a couple weeks later. We were hanging with our roommates who ended up having other plans later, so we decided rather than go home and be alone, we'd go do something. We went to Monsters Inc. at the dollar theater. Then we went to Shopko and picked out Father's Day cards for the others' dad.  A few days later when Jenni and I were hanging with Jon and Gil at their place, Jon asked if I would like to go to the Rodeo with him.

We went to DI in the afternoon to find cowboy/hick outfits, then went back to Gil's house and had "cowboy food", corn dogs, bakes beans, and corn. We took some pictures:

(Notice my "missing tooth"? I thought it made the picture more authentic!  I had a retainer with the tooth on it at the time.)

Group pics!
(Me, Jon, Gil, Jenni, Brittany (I think), Brian)
Its fun to see this pic-man we are all so skinny!!! HAHAHA. We are still in touch with all these people, except Brittany. And they are all married (to other people) and have families of their own.


Then we headed to the rodeo.

Last Friday was the first time we made it back to the Rodeo. (We tried to go last year, but last min decided not to because it was raining.) It was so fun to reminisce about what we were thinking and how we felt about each other back then.  Wondering does he/she feel the same way I do?  Having no idea how things would turn out over the last 8 years - marriage, 2 college degrees, 2 little boys, a house, and happiness!

Eight years later:



Anyway, enough mushy stuff. We had a good time. It was nice to have a break from the kiddos, and be outside in the beautiful summer weather! And I actually paid attention to the show this time. First they do "mutton bustin'". Little kids ride sheep out of the gate! Its way cute to watch.


Then the Buckin' Broncos! I tried to get pictures, but this is all that my camera could handle!




Just a blur of movement! It was crazy to watch these guys in person!

We had some strawberries in cream for the first time. They also did some calf wrangling. Then we still needed to eat, and Jon isn't a concessions type of guy. It was already 10p, but luckily, this fantastic Pizzeria was open!  We'd never been there but heard good things. It's called Pizzeria 712. Its was divine!! Sicilian style! Sooo good!

I am so glad we got to go to the Strawberry Days Rodeo, I had been wanting to do that for the last few years now. And I am so happy to be with my Honey!

3 comments:

  1. What a great love story. I'm laughing so hard about your tooth though; seriously, that is classic. It's weird to see Jon with short hair! He looks so different now. And you look the same, tiny and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a cute story! I'm glad that you were able to kind of recreate the first date. :) By the way, I totally went to the Semester at Nauvoo the same time that Gil did. I'm glad that you went to the rodeo!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!!