Post 3 of 10-
On Wednesday, we pretty much traveled, hung out at the pool, and visited with coworkers. On Thursday, we decided to try surfing. A year ago when the trip was given as an incentive, they called it a surf trip. Surfing was pretty much the deciding factor on where we were going on the trip. Supposedly this is one of the greatest surfing locations. So of course we had to try it!
Some of the California employees rented boats to go to little islands where the waves were much bigger and better than on the shore here. But these ones worked just fine for us. Also, in the mornings and evenings the waves were better, but Jon and I weren't that committed.
The company paid for lessons for who ever wanted them, but there were no more times available. So, Jon decided he just wanted to go down to see if we could squeeze in to a lesson and to check it out. The company arranged for shuttles to go back and forth all day from the resort to the surf place a few miles away.
We surfed at Witch's Rock. There was a surf shop and a bar and restaurant too.
The company also arranged for all employees and significant others, to rent boards with no cost to us. It was great! But unfortunately, there were no more spots for lessons. We had a couple hours to kill before the next event, so we went down to the beach to watch.
After watching for a while and Jon eavesdropping on some other lessons, he decided to get a board and make a go at it. I timidly hung out on the beach for a bit. I have a love/hate relationship with the beach. I love the smell and the breeze and the sounds and the sand pulling under my feet, but I'm afraid of the ocean. (I love Lake Powell.) I don't like waves and their apparent unpredictability. As I kid, we'd always go to the beach with family. We're from California and practically all of my extended family lives there. I always got thrashed by the waves. Tons of salt water up my nose, scraped and dragged along the coarse sand-it sucked! It seemed like everyone else like it. Surprisingly, my fear seemed to be tempered by this once in a lifetime opportunity that lie before me. And with the presence of my amazingly supportive and patient husband.
This is Maxi. He found the board that would be best with our size and experience, waxed them and then rinsed them when we brought them back. My board on the first day was a 9 feet 2 inches and was good and wide. It was so big and heavy I had to hold it on my head to get it down to the water. But the board was perfect to help me get up easily.
Surfing seemed pretty straightforward and simple. Lay on your board, paddle hard as a wave is coming, and when it catches, push your board down and pop up. I got up on the second try!! Unfortunately, we don't have a waterproof camera so these pics were hard to get and not the best ones either. Not to mention, our SD card was full and the battery was almost dead.
And Jon got up on the first try, I think.
It was really fun! And so successful! I didn't get thrashed at all on Thursday and only once on the Friday.
I told you my board was big!
We also went surfing on Friday morning. But there was a bit of a mishap with a board injuring the family jewels.... after finding some pain killer and waiting for it to kick in we surfed some more. My board was more narrow so it was less stable for my lack of skills. And the waves weren't as good as the day before, but it was getting later in the afternoon too. I would catch a wave and by the time I was ready to stand up it lost its power.
But all in all, surfing was SOOOO fun! I am excited to try again someday!
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I would have to say I am so impressed! I grew up in cali and never tried cause it looked to hard! You made it look and sound easy!
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I don't know if I'm brave enough to ever try surfing, I have a very similar experience as you had as a kid. The ocean scares me a bit. The picture of your surf board made me laugh, it's almost twice our size!
ReplyDeleteI meant twice your size. Also I forgot to say that I love your bathing suit!
ReplyDelete