While we were in Phoenix, Zac grabbed a cookie with a macadamia nut in it and had a bite of the nut. He'd never had one before. When he came to us and let us know, he didn't feel good and wanted to throw up...but didn't. I gave him a Benedryl and he started playing and seemed like he would be fine. But an hour or so later, he threw up a little so Jon went and laid down with him, and Zac fell asleep. Another hour or 2 later, Jon noticed that Zac had hives all over the mid section of his body. I gave him another Benedryl and put him in the bath. It didn't seem to be clearing up after 30 mins or so. I decided we'd better take him to urgent care since I didn't know what the night would hold, and since we were driving back to Utah the next morning. After being in the waiting room they started to clear up and by the time the dr saw us the hives were about gone.
We knew Zac seemed to be allergic to some nuts, like cashews. He'll throw up after eating them, even if he doesn't know they are in the food. And Max very occasionally would get small light hives on his face where bits of peanut butter got on his skin after eating a pb and j. But for the most part, the boys eat peanut butter and candy bars with no problem at all. Its been a bit awkward to tell their teachers they are allergic to nuts...but peanuts seem to be ok. Before Phoenix I'd looked into getting the boys tested so at least I would know. But it hits the deductible and would be a pricey service. Max had already met his deductible with his tubes surgery so I had an appt for him already. But after taking Zac in and talking to the Dr she was very persistent that we needed to get Zac tested too.
In response to our questions about why they seem perfectly fine with peanut butter the Dr said, its like Roulette....they could be find for years, but you never know when one time they may go into anaphylactic allergic reaction.
Waiting for the scratch test to finish. I had them put their hands in their pockets so they wouldn't scratch, and watch looney toons until they were done.
The results
Both boys are allergic to tree nuts and peanuts, dust mites, cats and some pollens. Max is allergic to dogs and Zac is allergic to sunflower and sesame..include the oils. When buying food I've noticed that any generic brands always seem to say may contain traces of tree nuts. :( Its also been tricky at lunch time. The boys LOVED peanut butter and jelly and it was pretty much a sure bet to get Zac to eat lunch while distracted with friends at school. Also, when it comes to tortilla chips it seems like all brands except Mission, say made with corn/and or sunflower oil.


That is not so great. I'm sorry that you've had to make this adjustment in your life. I have another friend who just found out one of her twin boys is deathly allergic to tree nuts. He just put the nut to his mouth, didn't swallow, and passed out. Good luck in figuring all this stuff out for them. It'll be okay!
ReplyDelete