Ready for picture overload...
We've never done a friend birthday for Max. Zac has had a few, the younger years were mostly family friends, but last year he had a great one. This friend party was also a reward for Max feeding himself dinner for a month or so. Yes, we still have feeding issues with this one.
It had been July since the last party or event that I planned, Rachel's baby shower. I told myself no friend parties for a few years, but I felt bad that Max never got one and he's talked a lot about his birthday since August when it was mine and Zac's birthday. I again surprisingly, felt motivated enough to plan a fun themed party-Construction. I went all out AND even did a themed cake-very impressive for me at this point in
Here is the invitation I made. Max loved going around to houses to drop them off.
And the cake. Not as fancy as the pirate ship cake-but still a great one. I got the idea while looking on pinterest.com on this blog. The inside of the cake didn't turn out as well...there were a few things I did for the first time when I made this cake, like use the wilton bake even strips, the cakes were slanted instead of domed...perhaps b/c the oven racks are not straight? and i baked them per high altitude directions and i added a ton of dye to the batter to get the colors.
The effect is there, but probably not noticeable to those who didn't know.
I think I've said it somewhere here on my blog, but the feel in a theme of a party or what not is all in the details. I had fun looking at pinterest and getting ideas from others who did construction parties.
Caution tape around My christmas tree. Hard hats and tool belts for each kiddo. We ended up having nine 3-4 year old boys. There were four girls invited but ironically none of them showed up. I'm surprised how smooth things went and all the boys were so well behaved.
I got this idea off another blog, have the kids paint a house like construction workers. I got mini rollers for moldings and door jams at the hardware store, washable crayola paint, and called a local appliance shop to get huge boxes. Jon and I cut doors and windows to make a play house. The boys loved painting it and it was so cute to watch too.
I also like this idea, found through pinterest. But they used streamers with balloons at the bottom. I think the caution tape worked out great!
While we were waiting for everyone to arrive, the boys made little structures with gum drops and tooth picks.
We were concerned about Zac feeling bad that he would be last to try and do everything and let the guests go have a chance first (since he's the oldest and the brother), so he was the foreman. And he did a great job and was such a good helper and had a great attitude with patience the whole time.
Painting
Gotta have balloons!
The finished job-anyone want to hire this team?
After painting we headed downstairs for the demolition site. Jon rigged up a shower rod with a small ball hanging from it for the wrecking ball.
The tower waiting for demo. The boys loved it and were pretty good at taking turns. They also liked to help re-stack the tower to crash it down again.
After demo, we headed to the garage for the piñata. (I LOVE having a bigger house!) Ever since a family friend had one in October Max has been talking about a piñata for his birthday. It was nice to get rid of the rest of the Halloween candy. I also put little toys in it for the goodie bags instead of having the goodie bags preassembled.
The little boy who was last in line was sooo anxious to get a chance to hit the piñata. Luckily we were able to support the piñata and it lasted til that last little boy hit it.
Cake eating
Max was also excited about gummy worms, so I thought it was appropriate to add them to the cake and oreo dirt crumbs.
Presents
Jon is such a good daddy. He took the play house downstairs and let the boys keep it and play in it for another couple weeks before we cut it apart for the recycling.
And I have give major props to my Honey, Jon. There is NO WAY I could have pull this off without him. He helped so much on that day and cleaned and helped put most of the house together for this party, while I made the cake. And he did great hosting the boys and ushering them from one activity to the other while I got the next thing ready, cleaned up the previous activity and took pictures. He did a great job! Thanks so much for the support Honey, I love you!!



Wow! Awesome party. You are so much braver than I would be though...I would totally have been freaking out with all those little boys running around with paint rollers in their hands!
ReplyDeleteoops...this is actually Amber, not Ben. (guess who forgot to log off his account?)
ReplyDeleteYou've been super-mom lately! Looks like the party was sooo cute, great job. I'll have to get ideas from you once I venture into the friend party area. Also, sorry about the boys having allergies. I can't even imagine the care you have to take to keep them away from nuts.
ReplyDeleteFor being pregnant and not wanting to do any major things, the details of this party rock! It's a great idea and it looks like so much fun!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great party and I love the cake and decorations!!!
ReplyDelete