The week of Nov 20
What is it about the fall months leading up to Christmas? Its such a whirl wind! Jon and I were dying to go somewhere to take a break from life. Normally, we need to stay close to home over the holidays incase there is trouble at work. You know, Black Friday and all. But this time, we were able to get things together and we went to Idaho for Thanksgiving. We rented a cabin in Island Park, that would be big enough for Jon's sister, Emily, and brother, Dave to come. They usually have Thanksgiving with us since their parents live half way across the country. It took so much planning and execution to make everything happen. I didn't want to be cooking the whole time and in a place where I didn't know what appliances and dishes they had. So I cooked some food ahead of time.
Getting the pies done!
I was really worried about the space and keeping the pies safe as we drove and when I went down to look around my craft room for ideas I saw this! It was perfect!!
Against many odds, we left right on time!
Thank heaven for portable DVD players. We only let them use it after we've been in the car for about an hour and only when we will be in the car for more than 2 hours at a time.
Sweet, perfect Enzo! I think he slept on and off. But he didn't make a peep the WHOLE time!
We made sure to stop in Blackfoot to visit Jon's grandparents. I have been wanting to visit them more often. But we just don't get up that way. Donna generously offered to make us lunch and invited Jon's other brother Jason and his family. The food was delicious as usual and it was so great to visit with them! We last min invited Jason and Kari to come up that night and squish in with us for the holidays.
My phone died from helping us with directions and I didn't have a charger. The rest of these pictures are from Emily's phone, through her Facebook page.
The cabin
When we arrived we all thought this was such a weird picture. Especially how it looks like a weird face. Upon closer inspection, there are many faces in the main piece of art in the frame.
Hot Tub!!! That was the only requirement for our cabin other than an internet connection for work. This was a daily activity for the boys. If they could've it would have been semi daily :)
Looking down from the loft
Enzo playing with his toys
We played games
We played with the littles
We watched movies on a borrowed projector. (It's A Wonderful Life made me cry this time.)
We stayed up late and talked
Jason making pie crust
Emily's Thanksgiving set up. I love the cornucopias! Thanks for the idea, Aunt Lori!
This post is kind of an all in one thing, vacation, and thanksgiving dinner. This year, I wanted to do something more simple since we wouldn't be at home. And we did what we could to make it gluten free for Em. I did 2 turkey breasts this year, recipe from Rachael Ray. They were so good and took A LOT faster to cook than a whole turkey would have. And I didn't want to have tons of left overs. We did a yummy gluten free stuffing with butternut squash, spinach salad, sour cream mashed potatoes, corn and gluten free rolls. Oh and of course pie!! Apple and pumpkin!
The last full day we were there we took a walk around the neighborhood. The cabin description said, the lake was a 5 min walk.
And there it is!
We had a great time! And a great break!



































No comments:
Post a Comment
We love comments!!